Charles Stack on Sun, 6 Feb 2000 17:44:50 -0500 (EST)

RE: [PLUG] DSL

What kind of DSL modem are you using?  FlowPoint?  How many static IP's did
you get?  Is your DSL modem set up for NAT?

Connecting you Linux box to a DSL modem (assuming it's an external model),
is as easy as running a cable between the modem and your linux box.  If you
have LinuxConf running on your Linux box, then you have two options.  If the
DSL modem is set for NAT, then you can just connect multiple boxes to it.
Just make sure that your gateway one each PC is set to the static IP of the
DSL modem.

If you have two or more NIC cards installed, you can set your Linux box up
to be the gateway using IP masquarade.  Works great either way.

If your DSL modem is NOT set for NAT, then you'll have to have a static IP
for each PC plus one for the modem.

We're running SDSL with a Flowpoint router.  We have 5 static IPs, one of
which is connected to a Linux box acting as a gateway.  The Linux box is
configured for IP masquarade and runs the rest of our network.

Charles