Bill Jonas on Mon, 7 Feb 2000 01:59:53 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] Linux MP3 players suck!

Need some help here -- I've been using FreeAmp for a little bit now.
Also played around with a few others -- KMP3 (think that's the name of
it, or maybe KJukebox), *xmms, etc, and even a couple command-line ones.

Problem is this:  The MP3's sound like crap (kind of a high-pitched
crackling sound) whenever there is a (barely) non-trivial amount of disk
I/O.  At first I thought it was the player, but the same thing has
happened with all of the different players I've tried.  I guess I'm used
to RealJukebox under Windows, which would play back the MP3 at a
constant rate with no background noise no matter how much disk I/O I had
at the time, but if it was unable to get enough data, it would simply
pause playback until it had enough data.

I've checked linuxdoc.org for help, but the MP3 HOWTO was mostly about
recording MP3s, and just one skimpy page about playback.  If it makes
any difference, I'm running Linux 2.2.13 and KDE 1.1.2.  The
interference happens when I switch windows or just when the OS access
the swap partition(s).

Help!  :)

TIA,
Bill
--
"Notice how altering $one in fact altered each element of @a.
This is a feature, not a bug."  -Schwartz & Christiansen,