Tim Peeler on Mon, 7 Feb 2000 07:39:36 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Linux MP3 players suck!

On Sun, 06 Feb 2000, you wrote:
> Problem is this:  The MP3's sound like crap (kind of a high-pitched

Try setting the realtime priority under preferences for xmms.  For freeamp,
make sure it was compiled with nasm.  Anything else, you can run it as root
with a higher priority (nice -5 should be good).  It sounds like you don't have
enough cpu process dedicated to the player (one kickass thing about *nix IMHO
is prioritizing processes).  Also, if you've encoded your mp3's with real
jukebox, they're always gonna sound crappy unless you play 'em with real
jukebox.  I don't know what real has done with it, but I think they're trying
to keep people from exchanging mp3s (either that or they want you to buy the
retail version).

Tim