Darxus on Mon, 7 Feb 2000 11:52:09 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Linux MP3 players suck!

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Tim Peeler wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Feb 2000, you wrote:
> > Problem is this:  The MP3's sound like crap (kind of a high-pitched
>
> Try setting the realtime priority under preferences for xmms.  For freeamp,
> make sure it was compiled with nasm.  Anything else, you can run it as root
> with a higher priority (nice -5 should be good).  It sounds like you don't have

I would definately try giving it more priority.. I wouldn't hesitate to
set it at -10, maybe -15, but wouldn't go any farther.

The only time I really have that problem is switching back & forth between
the console & X.

It might actually be a problem w/ linux... giving too much of the cpu to
graphical processes during transitions like this.

There are also buffering issues you can look into.  Some mp3 players allow
you to specify buffer size, and there are a couple programs that exist
specifically to buffer input to things like mp3 players & cd burners.

I think this is the buffering program I was thinking of:
http://www.foi.hr/~dpavlin/projects/bag/