Kyle Burton on Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:24:56 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Letting non-root mount floppy/cdrom

In your fstab, append 'user' to the list of options -- you shoul probably
do a 'nosuid' if you're going to do a 'user' on the list of options:

Setting your floppy with these options should allow a user to mount a
floopy and not be root:

/dev/fd0         /mnt/floppy             vfat    noauto,nosuid,user     0 0

I typicaly do the same thing for the cdrom:

/dev/cdrom       /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,nosuid,ro,user  0 0

in these, noauto means don't mount the file system when 'mount -a' is
issued (i.e. at boot time), nosuid menans don't allow suid binaries on
the mounted file system -- allowing suid is a serious security issue,
especially on removeable media. user means allow normal users to mount
and unmount the filesystem.

This is all in the fstab and mount manpages.

"Success covers a multitude of blunders."
    -- George Bernard Shaw