Greg Lopp on Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:03:12 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] wont shut down properly

Michael Whitman wrote:

> What i see just before the system spits back that
>   'unable to handle kernel null pointer
>   dereference at virtual address 0000011c' and all the rest of the error
> message, is...
>
> 'System halted'
> then it says
> 'stopping all md devices'

This line comes from /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/md.c

> What is an md device and is it significant the error occurs right after it
> says it is shutting them down?

md.c is the "Multiple Devices driver for Linux"  The brief description of the
option in xconfig says to use this (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD) for software RAIDs  and
directs further questions to the Software-RAID mini howto.

I don't know much about SW-RAID, but stopping of md devices might be a logical
response to either a kernel null pointer or to shutting down.  The fact that the
text shows up after "System halted" might suggest buffered I/O to STDOUT rather
than a real problem with SW-RAID.

Are there further addresses dumped with the null pointer?