Michael C. Toren on Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:30:27 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] DNS cache updates

> In my DNS, I just changed the IP address of a hostname.  Any DNS that does
> not have the IP address of that hostname/IP cached is resolving it
> correctly to the new hostname now.  How long will it take for cached IPs
> to update ?
>
> iqgroup.com.    IN      SOA     ns.iqgroup.com. hostmaster.iqgroup.com. (
>                         2000021101
>                         28800
>                         7200
>                         604800
>                         86400 )

That last value in the SOA record is called the TTL (time-to-live), and
dictates how long a resolver should cache queries for.  So, assuming you
don't define a different value for the TTL elsewhere in the zonefile, it
shouldn't take any longer than 24 hours for the changes to propagate.

-mct