Hugh Brock on Fri, 11 Feb 2000 17:22:48 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] Meta-. is a beautiful thing

At my emacs presentation last week someone asked me about Etags. I
answered "what's that?"

Now I know, and I am amazed that I've lived without it this long.

This is the example I used (borrowed from the photo.net web/db forum)
to slurp all the tags in the entire ArsDigita Community System into
the etags database for emacs:

find /web/hbrock/tcl/. -name \*.tcl | xargs etags --append --lang=none --regex='/\(proc\|proc_doc\)[ \t]+\([^ \t]+\)/\1/'

Basically this means that the entire custom TCL API we've built at Ars
Digita is available to me with two keystrokes. If I'm reading
someone's code in emacs and I see a proc I don't recognize, I move
point to the beginning of the proc and M-. instantly pulls up a buffer
with the source code.

The same would of course apply to, say, all your c libraries? All your
java classes? The mind boggles.

Sorry, I know I'm running on here, I just had to share the beauty...

--Hugh