LeRoy D. Cressy on Sat, 12 Feb 2000 10:37:23 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Letting non-root mount floppy/cdrom

There is a good way to let all of the users mount the floppy and cdrom,

first edit you /etc/fstab

/dev/fd0        /floppy    auto    defaults,user,noauto     0      0
/dev/cdrom      /cdrom     iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto  0      0

Not all systems allow auto for the floppy, but if your system does then you can
make your floppy be any fs that is compiled into the kernel.  If your system
doesn't allow auto then you must have a seperate line for each file system that
you might have on a floppy.  If security is a concern for you you might add
noexec to the options field.

Jason Lenthe wrote:

> We recently got two new machines to run solely linux (woohoo!) down here in
> the comp. sci. dept at St. Joe's.  I want to be able to give non-root users
> the ability to mount/umount cdroms and floppies and also powerdown.  I thought
> the easiest way to do this was to put a script owned by root in /usr/local/bin
> to do 'mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy -t vfat' or whatever, then 'chmod +s' it,
> but that doesn't seem to be working.  Any suggestions ?
>
> Jason

          0 0      Linux Force, Inc. http://www.LinuxForce.net
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		mailto:ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037