Darxus on Thu, 17 Feb 2000 16:46:45 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Microsoft's statement about Solaris-based Hotmail (old)

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Michael W. Ryan wrote:

> My apologies for the response.  It's mostly a matter the straw breaking
> the camel's back.  The level of Microsoft sniping has risen lately.  I'd
> really like to see this stop for two reasons.

Win2k is happening.  Humans fear the unknown.

> First, it doesn't lend us any credibility.  Just like Linux supporters
> claim that FUD doesn't do anything to lend MS credibility, MS bashing
> doesn't do anything positive for us in the larger view.

Oh, I disagree.  I think that FUD does do Microsoft a lot of good.  That's
the scary part.  The large percentage of people that don't see it for what
it is.

The only thing in this thread that might be considered Microsoft bashing
was " Probably the standard 'Microsoft doesn't trust their own OS' being
dusted off on the same day they're releasing Win2k."  I'm not exactly sure
what it meant, but it didn't seem overly harmful to Linux's image.

> Second, some of us actually work in the Microsoft environment.  And,
> frankly, I find the pity expressed over that and the abject MS bashing (as
> opposed to knowledgable comparisons) that occurs here rather insulting.

I'd be willing to bet a larger percentage of the machines in my company
are running win2k than yours :P
(Excluding training machines which may change their operating systems at a
moments notice)

Thoughtless bashing is going to negatively impact Linux's image, yes.

> On an additional note, I'd like to revoice a request made in the past that
> if you post a URL to state what your point is.  It would definitely go a
> long way to avoiding misunderstandings.

It had the brief description of "Facts About Hotmail's Production OS
Environment" with, I think, an implied "develop your own opinions".

                           Chaos reigns.