Michael W. Ryan on Thu, 17 Feb 2000 19:36:52 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Microsoft's statement about Solaris-based Hotmail (old)

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Adam Turoff wrote:

> How?  Too resource intensive?  Too manpower intensive?  Too much training
> required?  Everything I've heard about Active Directory is that it's
> just an LDAP server and a suite of tools that use an LDAP server instead
> of Microsoft's standard NT user administration suite (or NIS for that
> matter).

The design of the directory structure, the organizational units, and what
the objects (and their properties) will be.

> Again, why?  What is Microsoft doing better at the high end?  I've seen
> organizations brought to their knees using Exchange that would be much
> better off using apache, sendmail or qmail on a *NIX box.

I think it's a matter of looking at why Exchange is failing them.  In any
event, MS has the multi-threaded kernel, the ACL-based filesystem, and the
support infrastructure that large enterprises want.  Linux can, one day,
reach this point; it's just not there yet.

> Sure.  StarOffice both reads and writes these formats.  Of course, they
> don't guarantee 100% fidelity, but how many users need 100% fidelity
> with every bug and feature in Word or Excel?  StarOffice isn't ideal,
> but it fits into most workflows (even if it is quite cumbersome).

I wasn't sure SO went both ways.  From what I've heard (haven't had a
chance to use it), SO's only real failing is that it tends to be big and
slow.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)