Rebecca Ore on Thu, 17 Feb 2000 18:59:55 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Microsoft's statement about Solaris-based Hotmail (old)

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 05:55:03PM -0500, Michael W. Ryan wrote:

(snips)

> for the server role.  The desktop role is going to need to resolve the
> question:  will I be able to read MS Office documents and create documents
> that are usable in MS Office?  BTW, is there currently a solution that
> hits both ends of this?

I have the latest Gnumeric, just haven't played with it.  It claims to
export Excel 95 format.  I don't know what it will open as I don't
have an excel spreadsheed handly.

  A program called Ted does a very basic rtf document that appears to
be readable to and from both StarOffice and WordPerfect as an rft.
Ted is my drafting program of choice as it runs quite nicely over a
ssh connection (sdsl).  Don't know if it comes and goes with rtf in
Word as nimblely, but I can't see why it shouldn't.

Haven't tried the more directly Gnomish word processors -- I needed
something that worked now and Ted does what I need in a light drafting
ms tool that would give me files I could refine and print from WP.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net