Adam Turoff on Thu, 17 Feb 2000 18:25:10 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Microsoft's statement about Solaris-based Hotmail (old)

Tom wrote:
> I'm sorry Adam (and everyone) for prolonging this silly thread, but truth is,
> Win2K is going to give the Linux community a real mark to strive for.

That's fine.  Mike and I are tired of senseless ranting and raving, not
worthwhile discussions of commercial software.

> I've been
> using it on a few machines for several months, and have had a shipping copy
> running now for nearly a month. It's not the greatest in many ways, but it is
> stable.

Linux has been stable for years.  Uptimes of 700-1000 days are not unheard of.
(Same for *NIX, *BSD*, etc.)  The only Win* boxes I've seen be able to
come near that are boxes that have been set up to run only SETI@Home for
a few years (and even that can be problematic).

> None of these boxes have ever needed a reboot since installation -- no
> blue screens, no this-or-that-faults, no problems.

Here, Microsoft is coming from behind because they have a long history of
shipping shitty software that crashes almost on command.

I'd consider this an overdue resolution of a long-standing problem over
"innovation".

> Before you turn on your flame-throwers, by "mark to strive for" I'm talking
> about:
> 1. number / diversity of applications;
> 2. handling of wierd hardware / plug&pray;

Noteworthy.  Everyone else will always be coming from behind in this respect.

> 3. compatibility with the rest of the world;

Please be more specific.

> 4. Stability and robustness.

More stable than *NIX?  More robust than *NIX?  Or simply better than
previous MS offerings?

Z.