Adam Turoff on Thu, 17 Feb 2000 17:02:35 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Microsoft's statement about Solaris-based Hotmail (old)

Michael W. Ryan wrote:
> My apologies for the response.  It's mostly a matter the straw breaking
> the camel's back.  The level of Microsoft sniping has risen lately.  I'd
> really like to see this stop for two reasons.
>
> First, it doesn't lend us any credibility.  Just like Linux supporters
> claim that FUD doesn't do anything to lend MS credibility, MS bashing
> doesn't do anything positive for us in the larger view.

I think the quote from the big giant head in Apple's 1984 commercial is
something like:

	Our enemies' confusion will be our greatest weapon

In light of that remark, MS bashing, talking about the lack of credibility
that MS bashing brings about and how to stop bashing MS actually has
a net *negative* impact on quality software, linux or otherwise.

> Second, some of us actually work in the Microsoft environment.

[Sorry, but you stepped into this one, Mike]

Care to tell us what they're doing *well*, since you're spending so much
time in that environment?

Off the top of my head, I'll mention that Miguel de Icaza is quite respectful
of OLE, and is ever so happy he has a spreadsheet that is flicker-free,
while Excel still hasn't gotten rid of screen flicker.

If that isn't enough, why are both KDE and Gnome converging on a Win95
style desktop?

Z.