Kevin Brosius on Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:35:11 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Kernel 2.2.x Question

> "M.S." wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, you wrote:
> >
> > > 2)  Believing that I may need to recompile the kernel to remove things
> > > like RAID, IPX, etc. I started to recompile the kernel.  A task I have
> > > done dozens - maybe hundreds of times over the last 4 years.  With this
> > > new kernel I constantly end up with zImage size errors and the compile
> > > stops right at the end.  I can complete the task by specifying "make
> > > bzImage".  Is the kernel now so big that it has to be compressed.  Maybe
> > > that's why all of the latest distro versions are completely modular.
> >
> > I noticed the same thing, ever since 2.2 I've had to do make bzimage.
> > Just to much crap to support I guess.
> > -Marc

Same here.  I think the biggies are the new framebuffer driver and video
boot screen support.  Look for fbdev and the video card specific options
near the end of the kernel options list.  If you pull enough stuff out I
believe you can still build a zImage, but there isn't really any
difference AFAIK unless you have an old version of lilo or other boot
loader which doesn't support compressed kernel images.

--
Kevin Brosius