Vettese, Nick A on Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:44:54 -0500 (EST)

RE: [PLUG] Microsoft's statement about Solaris-based Hotmail (old )

At the end of this email you talk about a MS Distro.  I was reading about a
project called the Millenium Project (and no, this isn't about Windows Me),
and it was very secretive.  Only saying that it was a revolutionary
operating system model.  I am begininng to thinkthat MS might be trying to
pull one off.

I also do't get this Microsoft is the enemy thing.  We, the Linux people,
are our own enemy.  Microsoft could only lure you to their side, and it
would be your decision.  Microsoft is just playing the game, and so is all
the Linux distros.  It is our decision to make or break Linux not MS's.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael W. Ryan [mailto:mryan@netaxs.com]
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2000 3:25 PM
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Microsoft's statement about Solaris-based Hotmail
(old)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Bill Jonas wrote:

> You better be careful, Michael.  People have gotten on my case about
> that before.  ;)

:P

> Without sounding arrogant, I'd like to point out that you *do* have the
> abbreviations MCP and MCT following your name in your signature.  (I
> realize that it's probably mostly for business purposes, though,
> although that's my conjecture.)  When people say, "Oh, I'm sorry" in
> response to your answer to their question of what you do for a living,
> though, try to realize that it's meant (I would assume) more as a
> <nudge-nudge, wink-wink> type of good-ol'-boys joke, not as any personal
> attack upon yourself.  (That's what I mean and have meant by similar
> comments to other people.)

Most the time it is that, but there are other times it isn't (and no, the
former doesn't bother me much).  Also, some of the slams on Microsoft are
slams against my profession.  And, let me clarify my apology:  I
understand that you didn't mean it as a slam on Microsoft.  At the time it
was, and I had had nearly enough of the MS slams.

> Fact is, we're all subscribed to this list, because, on some level, we
> have an interest in Linux-related issues.  Microsoft is considered by
> many to be the biggest "enemy" to Linux, and one can hardly talk about
> Linux without *at* *least* touching on Unix at some level.  Those were
> both touched on in that article -- stuff related to Linux, as well as
> her enemies.

I can't agree here.  Microsoft isn't, by definition, the enemy.  Tell me.
What if MS decided to do a Linux distribution?  No, don't scoff.  What if
MS found that there was a viable market for MS Office on Linux, and they
decided to put out a distro in order to bundle MS Office with it?

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)