fourje on Sat, 19 Feb 2000 07:06:19 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Usability Issues.

Adam Turoff wrote:

> Dave wrote:
> > Hmm. I've been lurking in the Hotmail Thread and came across a comment
> > where they said :

<SNIP>

> > I personally believe that if you create an Win/NT style interface for
> > Linux, then you'll end up with win/NT style problems.
>
> What if you had both at your disposal simultaneously?

<SNIP>

I believe that Yast, COAS, Linuxconf etc. were all attempts at simple
system configuration.  I also seem to remember that "many" people were
frustrated because they tweaked the config files by hand only to find
out that these menu config systems then went out and overwrote there
tweaks. I personally do not think you can allow manual tweaks to an
automatically (semi!!) configured system without running into serious
trouble. Not unless the menu-config systems rebuilds it's database from
the existing config files rather than rebuilding the config files from
its database - and does this everytime the menu-config system is
executed.

Dave E.