Kevin Brosius on Fri, 25 Feb 2000 08:20:23 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] permissions on mounted filesystems

> On Feb 24 in the year of our Lord 2000, thus spake the Christian Betz:
>

> >I usually use my computer as the normal user shux. By default my vfat
> >partition is mounted on /mnt/shux (on startup). However I would like to
> >give all users (specifically shux) read and write access. I was looking
> >around the man pages but I honestly can't say I understand how to set the
> >options so all users have read/write capability. How can I do this?
> >
> >Specifically I want to mount this vfat hard drive, which contains mp3's,
> >and serve them through samba. However machines which access the share
> >don't hae read and write access because of the original problem described
> >above.
> >
> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> IMO, the simplest way would just be to (as root, of course):
>
> # chmod 777 /mnt/shux
>
> unless there are more security issues with doing it that way than
> editing /etc/fstab like the other two people suggested.  Anybody know if
> it's less secure?
>
> Bill

I had this problem a while back, and noticed that chmod'ing didn't seem
to work for vfat mounted partitions.  At the time, I was unable to give
a normal user write access to a vfat partition.  I suspect the
suggestion about setting uid will also not work unless you want to leave
the vfat partition unmounted until you log in, and then only the user
mounting it will have access.  I've got to try the user,rw option in
fstab though.  That sounds like it has potential!

--
Kevin Brosius
Kulicke & Soffa Industries            voice: 215-784-6523