Bill Jonas on Fri, 25 Feb 2000 00:51:55 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] permissions on mounted filesystems

On Feb 24 in the year of our Lord 2000, thus spake the Christian Betz:

>I usually use my computer as the normal user shux. By default my vfat
>partition is mounted on /mnt/shux (on startup). However I would like to
>give all users (specifically shux) read and write access. I was looking
>around the man pages but I honestly can't say I understand how to set the
>options so all users have read/write capability. How can I do this?
>
>Specifically I want to mount this vfat hard drive, which contains mp3's,
>and serve them through samba. However machines which access the share
>don't hae read and write access because of the original problem described
>above.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMO, the simplest way would just be to (as root, of course):

# chmod 777 /mnt/shux

unless there are more security issues with doing it that way than
editing /etc/fstab like the other two people suggested.  Anybody know if
it's less secure?

Bill
--
"Notice how altering $one in fact altered each element of @a.
This is a feature, not a bug."  -Schwartz & Christiansen,