Ed G. on Sun, 27 Feb 2000 12:08:46 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] CD playing/ripping

Hi Mike!

I've used Grip and its companion program Digital DJ (ddj) for some
months now.  No problems, but especially cd writing under linux
can be a bear.

> 1) i'm trying to use a program called GRIP (http://www.nostatic.org/grip)
> to rip/encode some music and it says it can't "open my cdrom drive". (though it
> actually can)

My recommendation:  run Grip under 'strace'

In cases like these, where I get some obscure error message
(which often has nothing to do with the ultimate problem), I have
found strace very useful--it does an excellent job of letting you see
what is going on behind the scenes.

> 2) i'm trying to play CDs using GRIP, KCD, or the Gnome CD player. All open the
> cd, and play it, but none actually output sound. I have a SBVibra 16 using the
> latest OSS driver. All other sounds work, just not CD audio. I've tried with
> and w/o esd. Permissions for the relevant devices are appended later.

You've probably already ruled these things out, but:

Have you checked that your CD mixer level is not zero?

Is the cd audio cable connected?  If not, you will be able to access
data cds, but won't be able to play audio cds, a situation similar to
what you describe.

Best of luck,

Ed