Steve D. on Tue, 29 Feb 2000 10:19:54 -0500 (EST)

RE: [PLUG] CD playing/ripping

This might also sound idiotic, but does your cd have a play button on the
front (physically initate the play), and does it have a headphone jack in
the front?

If there is a headphone jack in the front of the CD-ROM the CD should be
putting out the exact same out of that jack that it is putting out of the
output to the sound card.  (You can mess with this also by hooking a little
speaker to the +/- outs on the back of the CD-ROM.)

That brings us to the sound card.  Could it be that somehow you have the
source (CD) deselected?  Muted?  Turned all the way down?  Also, make sure
you aren't pulling the digital audio (SPDIF?) from the cd and trying to put
that into the analog connector on the sound card.  Bad mojo there.

					-Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.nothinbut.net
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.nothinbut.net]On Behalf Of Ed G.
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2000 11:08 AM
To: Mike Romano
Cc: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: Re: [PLUG] CD playing/ripping

Hi Mike!

I've used Grip and its companion program Digital DJ (ddj) for some
months now.  No problems, but especially cd writing under linux
can be a bear.

> 1) i'm trying to use a program called GRIP (http://www.nostatic.org/grip)
> to rip/encode some music and it says it can't "open my cdrom drive".
(though it
> actually can)

My recommendation:  run Grip under 'strace'

In cases like these, where I get some obscure error message
(which often has nothing to do with the ultimate problem), I have
found strace very useful--it does an excellent job of letting you see
what is going on behind the scenes.

> 2) i'm trying to play CDs using GRIP, KCD, or the Gnome CD player. All
open the
> cd, and play it, but none actually output sound. I have a SBVibra 16 using
the
> latest OSS driver. All other sounds work, just not CD audio. I've tried
with
> and w/o esd. Permissions for the relevant devices are appended later.

You've probably already ruled these things out, but:

Have you checked that your CD mixer level is not zero?

Is the cd audio cable connected?  If not, you will be able to access
data cds, but won't be able to play audio cds, a situation similar to
what you describe.

Best of luck,

Ed