Philip McGraw on Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:44:14 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Solaris 2.8

I've installed the early realease Solaris 8 on a SPARCStation 10 and it went
quite smoothly except for one problem:  It didn't tell me that I hadn't allowed
it to use enough disk space (i.e., both 1GB drives).  It went all the way
through the nice GUI installation without any warnings or errors, and the system
even appeared to boot, but then acted very flaky.  I decided to re-install from
scratch again, and noticed this time that I should have selected BOTH hard
drives for it to carve up as it wished.  The results this time were MUCH
better.

BTW, although I don't have much experience yet with SPARC hardware yet, I'd
steer clear of the older (IPX, IPC, 1 and 2) models, and would consider the
SPARCStation 5 or 10 as a minimum.  I'd keep looking at ebay, as I think I've
seen 10's go for around $300 there. (for example,
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=272615170 is currently at
$200.)

Philip