Michael Leone on Thu, 9 Mar 2000 20:45:46 -0500 (EST)

RE: Suse (was formerly: RE: [PLUG] socf: questions)

Hugh, why is a SuSE Oracle install so much easier than that Preparation
H-inducing Red Hat install?

:-)

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.nothinbut.net
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.nothinbut.net]On Behalf Of Hugh Brock
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2000 11:26 AM
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: Suse (was formerly: RE: [PLUG] socf: questions)

Steven Davila writes:
 > Some good things:
 > They are a major force behind all the Xfree development (I think one of
 > their Vp's heads Xfree development), and as a result, all the new X
servers
 > are always out for SuSE as prepackaged RPM's that are pretty much
guaranteed
 > to work.

I have no gripes with Debian since I haven't used it, but I can say
from personal experience that the Oracle 8i install on SuSE 6.3 is a
walk in the park, while the RedHat install did indeed require
poultry. (I can't remember how much poultry, it was very late at
night.)

SuSE's laptop integration also rocks.

--Hugh