Hugh Brock on Thu, 9 Mar 2000 22:15:24 -0500 (EST)

RE: Suse (was formerly: RE: [PLUG] socf: questions)

Michael Leone writes:
 > Hugh, why is a SuSE Oracle install so much easier than that Preparation
 > H-inducing Red Hat install?

It's all in the tarball they give you to go along with your Oracle
install.  Basically, you set your machine up with users, partitions,
etc. the way Oracle says to. Then you copy the entire Oracle binary
onto your HDD. Then you untar the tarball, which has: 1. The correct
JVM to run the installer without barfing; 2. the 8.1.5.0.1 patch; and
3. a script that applies the 8.1.5.0.1 patch to the Oracle binary
pre-installation, and also patches a bunch of bugs in the Oracle
makefile and install scripts. Oh, and it also has a handy set of
installation instructions that actually make sense.

So you run the script on your Oracle binary, and then start the Oracle
installer and it works. Perfectly. Without even a hiccup, all the way
through to the end. It's astonishing, really.

Anyway, that's the kind of thinking that characterizes SuSE, in my
experience. They don't do anything halfway.

PLEASE NOTE that I'm not trying to knock other Linux distros (several
of which I use and like). I just appreciate somebody going out
of their way to make my life easier.

--Hugh