Chris Beggy on Wed, 8 Mar 2000 21:36:43 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] socf: questions

fourje wrote:

> GOOD :-)
>
> > >Also - are you using Slack. 7 ?  If so - what's it like??
> >
> > Well, I think it's all right, but I have no basis for comparison (other
> <BIG SNIP>
>
> Thanks for the input - I started with Slackware 3.0, and have used 4.0 -
> just wondering if 7.0 was worth the visit.

Slack 7 is good, especially because of glibc2.  I think Patrick was
conservative about the migration, and was wiser than some other distros.
I too was conservative, and did completely fresh installs on backed-up
machines that were previously 3.x(libc5) which reduced my chances for
nightmares.  Then I restored the parts of userland, var, and etc I
needed.  The kernel is 2.2.x and you get to play with ipchains rather
than with ipfwadm for firewalling...
ifconfig behaves a little differently, and nfs seems a little more
peppy.  PCI (VIA chipset), scsi, and ide drives do not play nicely
together, but I think this is deeper than a distro problem.

glibc2 seems to build bigger binaries than libc5, but hey, that's
progress, right?  Patrick is also using /opt and including
rpm in slack 7, which is also a change, I think.

I basically just like Slackware because my first install was with
a stack of Slack floppies and Matt Welsh's install guide, which was
slack-centric.

Chris