Michael W. Ryan on Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:23:58 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] XFree 4.0 - multiheading

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Darxus wrote:

> The effect I'm trying to achieve is multiple full (monitor/keyboard/mouse)
> independant interfaces connected to one machine.

I thought this is what you were going for.

> In my searches, I found someone commenting that this could be done through
> USB (hooking up multiple keyboards) -- didn't occur to me since I've never
> used usb, or even seen it used.

Yeah, you could connect them all with USB, but I'm not sure how you would
get them all to be associated together as a console.  It would probably
require some programming.

> And the biggest reason I think this would work is efficient CPU usage.
> On mainframes (fat server, very thin client), CPU usage is pretty
> consistant. You've got a large number of users hitting it at a pretty
> stable level.

Oh, definitely, but I think you need more than just a keyboard, display,
and mouse, especially for X (which is the whole idea behind thin client
systems).  This could be achieved with something cheap, maybe even
sub-Pentium.

> With typical current workstations (fat client, thin server), your CPU
> spends most of it's time probably averaging about 2% usage, peaking to 98%
> or something briefly when you do something like start an app.

Keep in mind, this depends on the work being done.  You put a bunch of
active developers working in a compiled language, your CPU usage goes up.
The point is valid, however.

BTW, I won't be responding anymore until at least Sunday -- going to anime
convention for the weekend.  have a great weekend, everyone.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)