Bill Jonas on Tue, 21 Mar 2000 00:54:50 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] rescue disks on cd

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 mg@infinity.stf.org wrote:

>	So tonight I was messing around with the slackware rc scripts and I did
>something that left the machine unbootable. I needed a rescue disk so I
>could get back into those files and undue the damage I had
>done. Unfortunately, the floppy drive on this box is out of service at the
>moment. I was able to borrow another one though to fix the problem, but it
>got me to thinking. Do bootable rescue cds exist out there? I know that

Slackware?  Sure.  If you have the four-cd set, it's on the second or
third cd.  It contains a "live" filesystem with mounts at the important
bits to your regular partition (or a ram disk, I'm not sure which).  You
can even run X off of it, but it's (not surprisingly) very slow.

>	So what have you guys seen around? How would one go about
>making a bootable linux cd with some basic utilities on it? I know there's

root@localhost:~# cat /dev/floppy > /dev/cdrom

:)

>the Bootdisk-HOWTO out there which I, admittedly, only gave a quick once
>over. It seems, understandbly, mostly floppy boot disk centered. How
>different would the process be when you s/floppy/cd/?

I recall discussion on another list sometime ago that a Silicon Valley
company has a "bootable business card"...  Just a credit-card-sized (and
shaped) CD that you can carry in your wallet and boot Linux off
of.  Because of the medium, though, and it's size, it only holds about
30 megs.  More than enough for a reasonable rescue disc.

However, I can't recall what the company name was.

Bill
--
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought.
But World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- A. E.