Douglas A. Weber on Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:37:26 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] BA DSL

I have BA DSL.  I was one of the first ones in the Ardmore PA area to get it
and for most of he first year it was excellent.  1 down time that lasted a
few hours and that was it.  Late in 99 and so far this year that has not
been the case.  I have had continuous problems with connections.  I believe
that BA has far oversold there services and are not willing to move very
quickly ( or unable ) to correct this problem.  I have ordered new service
via Northpoint/phoenix DSL and will have them as my ISP and a SDSL
connection shortly.  In fact the outside wiring is scheduled to be done
today.  I hope that this will be better but who knows.  Take a look at
www.dslreports.com for more info and user reviews of the various providers
if you haven't already.  The other problem with Bell is that the Tech
support people in most cases know less than I do about PC's and Networks and
those that do understand the systems they are supporting are not given the
facts and are not allowed to actually help anyone.  They can actually get in
trouble for telling you what is actually going on when the do know.  If you
are interested I will pass on my experience with Phoenix once I am hooked up
and running.

On the plus side I had no trouble running a small network at home thru a
linux server with BA.  Just don't tell them you are doing it.

Doug Weber