Bill Jonas on Wed, 5 Apr 2000 00:23:45 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] microsoft lost

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Michael W. Ryan wrote:

>I'm going to keep this objective.

That's always a good thing.

>The last time I checked, PLUG (Philadelphia Linux Users Group) was for the
>support of Linux.

Last *I* checked, it was "Philadelphia Linux Users' Group", not
"Philadelphia Linux (Supporters' or Supporting) Group".

>Not bashing Microsoft.

I've not seen Microsoft bashing in this thread, just criticism.  If they
really are superior, the criticism wouldn't stand up.  If they aren't,
then what is wrong with pointing out the emperor's lack of clothing?

>Not advocating political agendas (paranoid or otherwise).

That's right, computers have nothing to do with politics nowadays.  Any
discussion of politics in the context of computers is totally offtopic.

As a taxpaying (albeit unwillingly, although launching into a discussion
of libertarianism *would* be totally offtopic) citizen of the
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, I am offended by the way "they" are
squandering our collective money on things that can be had much better
for free (beer and speech).

>I do not see how this thread falls under PLUG's purpose.

I feel I've done a good job in this post explaining why it *does*.

>Please take it elsewhere.

Perhaps you might be served better if you started a "Philadelphia
Linux-With-No-Mention-Of-Microsoft User's Mailing List".

If you don't like this particular thread, then, well, killfiles are
wonderful things.  It's not as though there are 200 messages a day on
this list.  Hell, we're lucky sometimes to get 2 *percent* of that.
When I subscribed to the list in August, it was quite active, I'd guess
about 15-25 messages a day or so.  (I'm too lazy to look at the list
archives right now.)  It appears the difference in those 8 months or so
is that I've seen you a few times on a thread that you happen to not
like get on the list and say, "Okay, folks, this is offtopic, it has
nothing to do with Linux, move along, nothing to see here."  People get
tired of other people shooting them down and the path of least
resistance is to just quit posting.  Fortunately (for me), I've found a
different list for Linux (and everything else, incidentally)
*conversation*, as PLUG, more and more, seems to be evolving into stuff
mostly about PLUG itself, not Linux.  Note that I'm not saying that
there isn't useful stuff that still goes on on the list, just that it
seems to be declining.

>Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
                  ^^^  ^^^

Is the emperor wearing clothes?  Other times that criticism of Microsoft
has come up, you are the only one (most certainly the first) that I
recall jumping up and saying, "Take it off the list!"  I appreciate your
stated claim up top that you were going to be objective, but, well,
maybe I'm just dense, but I can't see it for the life of me.

Bill
--
"I couldn't give him advice in business and he couldn't give me
advice in technology." --Linus Torvalds, about why he wouldn't