Michael W. Ryan on Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:55:43 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] microsoft lost

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Steven J Pulito wrote:

> True Linux is an OS, however it also happens to be the poster child for
> the Open Source movement which is a philosophy.  I recommend reading Eric
> S. Raymond's The Cathedral & The Bazaar (isbn:1565927249) which according
> to Linus Torvalds is "how we did it." You can also enjoy his writings for
> free online:
> <http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/index.html>

I've read it.  My first PLUG meeting was Eric testing it out.  I positive
about Open Source, and I like Eric.  I had the pleasure of delivering a
talk on Python that he attended and was very enthusiastic about.

> I agree on 3 out of 4 points.  However I would say the verdict is still
> out on the fate of Netscape.

I can agree with that.

> Again check out ESR's writing s if you haven't they go a long way towards
> explaining how open source can be a competitive advantage and it was these
> papers that caught the attention of the Netscape execs and made them
> decide to open the source.

Yup, been there.  Oh, I've also discussed Open Source in one of my classes
(a Microsoft class, no less).

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)