Aarune J. Oracle on Wed, 5 Apr 2000 18:00:43 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Advocacy

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Michael W. Ryan wrote:

:A large part of a system is the support provided by its community.
:There's a need to get meaningful answers to questions.  If you want to
:know how to get a Linux system and a Win2k system to inter-operate, you
:don't want to hear "format the Win2k system and install Linux".
:Unfortunately, THOSE are the answers they expect to receive.  They also
:don't want to be insulted because of other platforms they use.  I find
:being asked how I reconcile being a Linux advocate with working in the
:Microsoft world VERY insulting, both intellectually and professionally.
:So do they.

I find it hard to relate to a person like that because I learned how to
use windows and linux initially on my own, trial and error.  I can easily
say that most of I know is from reading manuals, or just trying to use it
and see where it goes from there.

But I can see your point it is nice when you get a chance to ask someone
that knows more then you do how to do something and get a straight answer.
But then I have found getting no answers to questions I ask about windows
or linux is a common thing.

:The KKK also isn't the support community for white sheets.  A more
:reasonable comparison would be that I don't join the KKK because they're
:racists.
:

I will have to agree with you for the most part.  I would give you a
better example but I am getting over a sinus/head cold and my brain is
still a little mush.  But you can use an item and not be apart of a
community.  You do not have to agree with the actions of the people that
are using it.  Use it for your own reasons, I use linux because I like
being in control of things, I like knowing what is running on my system
and what I need and dont need.  It does annoy me when some outspoken
people overly praise linux, but it also bothers me when other OS lovers do
the same thing.  To me an OS is an OS.  It is supposed to be what
communicates with the hardware so your applications do not need to.  I
look at a complete install of a linux distro somewhere in the line of
600+Megs, whereas windows98 is 125Megs.  But I can install the bare
minimum, and only use up 3 to 4 Megs.  I cant do that with windows.  It
was pounded in my head that the OS is something you use but never really
see.  All the rest is the applications and interfaces that go on top of it
to make things easier for you.  But I still use both Linux and Windows
because I can and I like to.  I use them for different reasons.  But if
the windows community was a bunch of psyco killers or the linux  community
was sadistic monkey rapers, I would still use them both.  It shouldnt have
anything to do with the other people, it should just be use it cause you
like it.

Ok an example.  My sister is a vegitarian, she is a vegitarian because
she feels more healthy not eating meat, she likes it sometimes but opts
not to eat it, plain and simple right? Well she dislikes those people
saying and yelling Killing animals for food is bad, why eat bambi, poor
cows are suffering for your meal.  It didnt stop her from becoming one,
why cause it is something she wanted to do.  that is prety much the same
thing as not using linux cause you think that linux Advocactes are
annoying.

--
-Rune

Operating-system software is the program that orchestrates all the basic
functions of a computer.

		-- The Wall Street Journal, Tuesday, September 15, 1987, page 40

Windows 2000 can be called a parasite because it keeps growing, consuming
its host's resources and spreading across networks