Michael W. Ryan on Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:32:32 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Advocacy

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Aarune J. Oracle wrote:

> Why would a community make someone not want to use a product, even though
> that person is able to understand the merits of a system.

A large part of a system is the support provided by its community.
There's a need to get meaningful answers to questions.  If you want to
know how to get a Linux system and a Win2k system to inter-operate, you
don't want to hear "format the Win2k system and install Linux".
Unfortunately, THOSE are the answers they expect to receive.  They also
don't want to be insulted because of other platforms they use.  I find
being asked how I reconcile being a Linux advocate with working in the
Microsoft world VERY insulting, both intellectually and professionally.
So do they.

> I don't like the
> kkk, but I still own white sheets, does that mean I should never use white
> sheets?  cause a group of people use them for other reasons?

The KKK also isn't the support community for white sheets.  A more
reasonable comparison would be that I don't join the KKK because they're
racists.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)