Steven J Pulito on Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:33:45 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Advocacy

> > I'll bet you're right - there is probably an identifiable group out there
> > that doesn't like Linux because others think it's cool.
>
> No, that's not what I said.  They don't have any negative opinions about
> Linux.  They're put off by the community, which they view as having more
> religious fervor (of the type that resulted in the Salem witch trials)
> than sense.
>
> Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000

talk about the pot calling the kettle black don't you think?  Let's not
forget religous fervor in Redmond fueled by stock options that led to such
things as the Halloween Document <http://www.opensource.org/halloween/>  I
think the MS Marketing Dept. has more religous fervor behind it than any
Linux faction.  The only difference is that they speak the mangerial
language of many decsion makers in the real world.  Just because they know
how to play the propaganda game and win doesn't make them harmless.

In the end I beleive an intelligent person will be able to see past
Microsoft's marketing hype and past the rancor of the unwashed Linux
masses :)  At this point they will choose a product based on their
business requirements and how the technology in question meets these
demands.  Undoubtedly in some cases a Microsoft product will be the wisest
solution.  However to discount Linux merely because of the 'zealots' is
either a sign of immaturity or ignorance.  Eventually the PHB that chooses
MS even when Linux better suits his needs will find himself losing ground
to his competitors who are thoughtfully evaluating the situation.

-Steve