Greg Lopp on Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:36:05 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Two Questions...

"Aarune J. Oracle" wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Greg Lopp wrote:
>
> :So make bzlilo first makes vmlinux and then does the following:
> :1) saves your current /boot/vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz.old
> :2) saves your current /boot/System.map to /boot/System.old
> :3) copies /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz
> :4) copies System.map from somewhere to /boot/System.map
> :5) runs /sbin/lilo if you have it, otherwise /etc/lilo/install   (is that
> :because of older versions of lilo?)
> :
> :No changes to lilo.conf are needed, since you are still booting /boot/vmlinuz,
> :though the one time addition of /boot/vmlinuz.old would be a good idea.
>
> I think if I remember correctly that it saves it to /vmlinuz and not
> /boot/vmlinuz.

That's right.     From  /usr/src/linux/Makefile
<<<<<<<<<
#
# INSTALL_PATH specifies where to place the updated kernel and system map
# images.  Uncomment if you want to place them anywhere other than root.

#INSTALL_PATH=/boot

With the # up front, $(INSTALL_PATH) returns no value to those lines I snipped
from bzlilo, resulting in...

 cat bzImage > /vmlinuz
 cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /
 /sbin/lilo

....but changing that one line in /usr/src/linux/Makefile once seems easier than
the rest to me.