ziggy on Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:36:31 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Advocacy

> On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 ziggy@panix.com wrote:
>
> > There will always be people who avoid the latest platform because
> > of the zealotry of the early adopters/evangelists/advocates.  It is
> > not our job to convince them to use our platform.  Once the community
> > around Linux is large enough[*] to dwarf the zealots, those people will
> > start to use Linux/Not-Windows.
>
> So, you're comfortable with driving people away from the platform?

No, I'm saying thta I have no control over their actions.  And they should
have no control over mine.

> And I
> don't mean just people who haven't used Linux.  I frequently find myself
> questioning more and more if Linux is worth suffering the open hostility
> and wading through the religious and political rhetoric I find in the
> community, including this section of it.

The rhetoric can only bother you if you let it get under your skin, Mike.

Before Linux took shape as something for more than just bitheads, the
gold standard for religious wars and political rhetoric was Guy Kawasaki
and his Evangelistas.  I don't think the evangelistas drove many people
away from the Macintosh; Apple did a pretty good job without the help.
Today, the iMac is one of the most popular computer models on the planet,
proving that the tide can turn, and the ferver can be ignored.

Linux's superiority (or lack thereof) is totally disjoint from the nature
of the linux community.  Anyone who ties them together does so of their
own choosing (and at their risk).

Z.