Morgan Wajda-Levie on Thu, 6 Apr 2000 07:13:20 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Advocacy

I agree with Mike that the very anti-Microsoft attitude of Linux users
can be seen as very negative to prospective users, and I admit that I
myself am sometimes a victim.  An example:

As a freshman in High School, we are required to take a health
course.  Fine, it's better than English. :)  Occasionally, we have
guest speakers who talk on a topic that they specialize in.  One
speaker talked about abstinence.

Personally, I think there are a lot of merits to abstinence, but the
ladie's talk made me really want to have pre-marital sex just so I
could prove her wrong.  Why?  Because she was attacking.  She told us
that having pre-marital sex was *wrong*, and said that people who did
it were bad people.  She even went so far to use a "bruised apple
analogy".  She left one apple on the table, and then dropped another
apple for sex, making out, etc.  "Which apple would you like more?"

Everybody in my class hated her, even people who would have believed
that two teenagers having sex on their second date would be a bad
idea.

The connection here is obvious.  We tell people that they are ignorant
because they use Windows.  We tell them that they can save themselves
by using Linux.  This automatically creates resistance.

My 2 cents.

--
Morgan Wajda-Levie
PGP fingerprint: