Bill Jonas on Fri, 7 Apr 2000 05:49:43 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Unwanted services.

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Jaiwant Mulik wrote:

>What is the _best_ way prevent all the services that you do not want
>during startup ?

Let's see... if you have System V style init scripts, you simply remove
the start and stop links in the appropriate /etc/rc.d/rc?.d/ directory.
(The ? varies depending on distribution.  For SuSE, it is 2.  For many
others, it is three.  Check your /etc/inittab to find out what your
default runlevel is.)

If you have BSD style init scripts (to my knowledge Slackware is the
only distro that uses BSD, and you probably aren't using that one <g>),
you need to edit the appropriate /etc/rc.d/rc.* script and comment out
the service.

If it is such things as telnetd, ftpd, and similar (this does *not*
include httpd, it is run as a separate daemon), you need to comment out
the appropriate lines in /etc/inetd.conf, after which you will need to
'kill -HUP $PID_OF_INETD' to get inetd to re-read its configuration
file.

HTH,
Bill
--
"I couldn't give him advice in business and he couldn't give me
advice in technology." --Linus Torvalds, about why he wouldn't