Michael C. Toren on Mon, 10 Apr 2000 19:49:06 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] File detector utility

> Is there a utility that will run surrounding another executable (the
> executable being either a script or a binary) and report on which files
> it hits?  I seem to recall hearing about such a thing, but specifics
> escape me at the moment.  A nudge in the right direction from the
> cluestick is greatly appreciated.

You can do a bit better than this, and use strace to peek at the system
calls a process is executing.  "strace -p <pid>" will begin to trace a
process which is already running, or "strace <foo>" will execute <foo>
with tracing enabled.

There are similar utilities for other *ix's, but under various names.
SunOS calls it simply "trace", BSD calls it "ktrace", etc.

HTH,

-mct