Michael W. Ryan on Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:24:46 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Intresting question regarding SAMBA

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 DrexelDG@aol.com wrote:

> Question of the day is.... I have two Win98 SE machines in the office here.
> One can work on the linux, meaning linux shows up in network neighborhood,
> and I can access the /home directory of the user that I made in the linux
> machine.  The other one does not like to do this.  I can FTP in on the second
> one, but there is no access through the network neighborhood.  I tried
> readding the user, shutting down SMB, and restarting it, shutdown the CPU and
> restarting it.  I even tried renaming the Win98 machine that does not work,
> to see if I could get it to work that way.  THat did not work either, and nor
> did changing the IP address of the machine in question.

The network neighborhood should never be considered a diagnostic; look at
it as simply a user convenience. (I could explain why, but's not that
pertinent to Linux :).

Are you able to access /home directory (from the problem child) via UNC
type in through Start->Run?

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

No, I don't hear voices in my head;
I'm the one that tells the voices in your head what to say.