Charles Stack on Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:04:49 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [PLUG] Intresting question regarding SAMBA

Does the problem exist using the same windows login?

Try a couple of things...

1) Is the second machine's IP in your hosts file?
2) Make sure your workgroup is the same on all machines.
3) If the shares are not public, you will need to have encryption
configured.  Since you are 98, I will assume that this is the case.
4) You will need to make sure SAMBA is aware of your user name and password.
Without it, the other machine will be rejected. Period.  Use smbpasswd, I
believe to configure your smb password file.
5) Is their a domain controller on the network?  Is it aware of your second
machine and user id?

This was a trial an error process for me as well.  It all came down to SMB
passwords and how the shares were configured (i.e. additional users).  You
may also try using unix->smb id mappings as well if your unix login is
different from your windows login.

The DNC problem surfaced with our VPN.  Seems one guy had a DNC on his
network that only knew of his machines.  Whenever he connected, we lost
network neighborhood.

Charles