DrexelDG on Wed, 12 Apr 2000 13:54:05 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Intresting question regarding SAMBA

Does the problem exist using the same windows login?

Try a couple of things...

1) Is the second machine's IP in your hosts file?

Yes the machines IP is in the hosts file.

2) Make sure your workgroup is the same on all machines.

Workgroup is the same on all the machines expect the linux box.  For some
reason it keeps coming up as workgroup and not the name we have assigned to
the rest of them.

3) If the shares are not public, you will need to have encryption
configured.  Since you are 98, I will assume that this is the case.

Shares are public... but we had to enable plain text passwords in the windows
machines in order to access the network.  This was do to the fact that we
have a UNIX (SCO open server 5) machine that all the machines have to go
through.  This is because there is a accounting system on that machine that
we are using.

4) You will need to make sure SAMBA is aware of your user name and password.
Without it, the other machine will be rejected. Period.  Use smbpasswd, I
believe to configure your smb password file.

SAMBA is aware of all the machines.  I added all the users with smbadduser
and updated all the passwords with smbpasswd.  That is why the other machine
is able to be seen and this one is not.  THe other 98 machine that is.

5) Is their a domain controller on the network?  Is it aware of your second
machine and user id?

Again this is the SCO unix box... but it is aware, meaning it has the cpu's
identiy as a user and the passwords match.  Otherwise this CPU would not be
on the network at all.

This was a trial an error process for me as well.  It all came down to SMB
passwords and how the shares were configured (i.e. additional users).  You
may also try using unix->smb id mappings as well if your unix login is
different from your windows login.

The DNC problem surfaced with our VPN.  Seems one guy had a DNC on his
network that only knew of his machines.  Whenever he connected, we lost
network neighborhood.

Charles

On a side note... I have enabled linux packet fowarding on the RH box... and
it GOES into the 98 machine that will not log into linux.  Is that strange or
what?

Any thoughts from this point anyone?

Anthony