Barry Spindler on Wed, 19 Apr 2000 22:19:04 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] ident / socks5

ident forwarding.. I think oident and pident (and probably a few others)
are capable of this. When the socks5 box gets the ident request from the IRC
server it passes it to the windows box. I've never actually done this tho
so I'm not exactly sure how it all works :)

	--Barry

On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 09:53:07PM -0400, Darxus wrote:

> internet<->firewall<->socks5 proxy<->windows box w/ mirc
>
> When I try to connect to an IRC server w/ mirc, the socks5 proxy (redhat
> linux) answers the ident request.  And since the outgoing connection to
> the irc server is coming from the socks5 proxy, which is run by root, it
> says that I'm connecting to IRC as root.  This is bad, because the IRC
> server I want to connect to has k-lined root@*.
>
> I could install an ident daemon that is capable of lieing (saying that
> root is say, darxus).  Is there a better way ?

* Culus thinks we should go to trade shows and see how many people we
  can kill by throwing debian cds at them