Jason Costomiris on Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:50:59 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Web Min

On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 10:15:11PM -0400, Barry Spindler wrote:
: I use it every once in awhile. It's pretty nice and rather easy to use.
: Can be setup for just about any distribution, and has extra features dependent
: on the distro (like on Debian it has a deb package manager).
: As far as I can tell it's rather secure, except passwords are sent in
: plaintext. Theres an option in it's config file for ssl, but I havn't been
: able to get it to work right..

Passwords are not necessarily sent clear with webmin.

If you've got openssl or ssleay on the server, and install the Net::SSLeay
perl module (available from the same dir as webmin), THEN install webmin,
it will detect the SSL capabilities, and will offer to use them.

Of course, you'll need to accept the cert it uses, or make a new one for it
to use, but that's up to you.

--
                 Jason Costomiris <><
            Technologist, cryptogeek, human.