Greg Lopp on Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:41:30 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] More PPP stuff....

DrexelDG@aol.com wrote:

> Ok thanks to everyone who helped me/us yesterday.
>
> I have another rather intresting problem now....

Interesting would be an understatement....

> I am on the web with the Linux box, and able to forward packets to the
> windows machines... enabling them to have access to the wonderful world wide
> web.
>
> However... after I dial into the net, I can no longer lanuch any programs
> from Linux..

Huh?  First things first, we need to sort out some terminology......"can no
longer launch any programs", to me, says that you can't run any
programs...meaning that you can't open an xterm, can't open another netscape
window, can't type "ps" on a command line without it barfing "segmentation
fault" or something back.  I sure hope that this is not the case.....

> . the ones that I have up are fine.... but any new ones are
> unable to lanuch.

Let me see if I understand.....
1) You open netscape and browse your machine and the windows machines.
2) You connect to your ISP
3) Netscape can now go out over the web.
4) You close netscape
5) You try to start netscape and nothing appears.

What if you try to open a link in a new window?

I think this has something to do with setting the default

> gateway to the one that the ISP assigns me.

The default gateway is where your machine sends all IP traffic that isn't for a
machine on the local network (like your windows boxes).  This shouldn't be a
problem.  Might this be an Xserver/Xclient problem?  That the processes are
launching, but the DISPLAY variable is somehow munged?

Please, more detail on what you mean by "cannot launch".