DrexelDG on Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:33:18 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] More PPP stuff....

In a message dated 4/20/00 10:42:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
lopp@earthlink.net writes:

<< DrexelDG@aol.com wrote:

 > Ok thanks to everyone who helped me/us yesterday.
 >
 > I have another rather intresting problem now....

> Interesting would be an understatement....

 > I am on the web with the Linux box, and able to forward packets to the
 > windows machines... enabling them to have access to the wonderful world
wide
 > web.
 >
 > However... after I dial into the net, I can no longer lanuch any programs
 > from Linux..

> Huh?  First things first, we need to sort out some terminology......"can no
> longer launch any programs", to me, says that you can't run any
> programs...meaning that you can't open an xterm, can't open another netscape
> window, can't type "ps" on a command line without it barfing "segmentation
> fault" or something back.  I sure hope that this is not the case.....

ok ok... I cannot lanuch any new appliactions from the X desktop.  I can
still log into another term, by hitting ctrl alt F 1 or whatever, and do
things from there.

 > . the ones that I have up are fine.... but any new ones are
 > unable to lanuch.

> Let me see if I understand.....
> 1) You open netscape and browse your machine and the windows machines.
> 2) You connect to your ISP
> 3) Netscape can now go out over the web.
> 4) You close netscape
> 5) You try to start netscape and nothing appears.

> What if you try to open a link in a new window?

The problem was more correctly stated by saying that if I had Netscape open
when I connected to the net, it would be fine.

However any addational applications that I launched from X would not go
anywhere as long as I was connected to the net.

 >I think this has something to do with setting the default

 > gateway to the one that the ISP assigns me.

 >The default gateway is where your machine sends all IP traffic that isn't
for a
 >machine on the local network (like your windows boxes).  This shouldn't be a
 >problem.  Might this be an Xserver/Xclient problem?  That the processes are
 >launching, but the DISPLAY variable is somehow munged?

Well the gateway was not the problem..... it was the IP address of the
machine going through kPPP.  I told the machine take the IP addy assigned by
the ISP and use it as the default for that machine.

I know that I did this because when I logged in on ctrl alt f2, instead of
saying

root@localhost

It said

root@151.197.111.111 (The IP address that was given to me by the ISP)

When I fixed this problem, meaning I disabled the function, everything worked
out fine.
:)

Again, thanks for the aid.

Anthony