Bill Jonas on Sun, 23 Apr 2000 01:19:07 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] relaying email

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Tom Joyce wrote:

>Is relaying email the same as forwarding email? Someone is using my system
>to relay email. I have shut down sendmail at the moment and working on

I can't help with the other thing, but this one I can speak about.

Basically, if your machine relays a piece of email, that info will show
up in the mail as a Received: header.  It's not really forwarding in the
way that an MUA forwards a piece of mail, but your system *is* passing
it along.

Of course, if the party(ies) relaying mail through your system are not
authorized by you to do so, they are most likely spammers and you might
get some hate mail from people about the spam, if they're clueful and
know how to read the headers.  :)

As far as actually configuring sendmail to disallow relaying, I can't
help with that as I've never touched sendmail.  From what I've heard,
though, good luck.  ;)

Bill
--
(Clever, funny, and/or witty comment goes here.)
Harry Browne for President:      http://www.harrybrowne2000.org/