John Graham on Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:56:51 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Dual Nic problem?

Hi folks,
I'm trying to set up a small network at home, I have a box with a 3com(eth0)
and a Realtek(or ethertek)(eth1) card installed. The 3com card is connected
to my DSL modem, the realtek is connected to my private network. I'm using
roaringpenguin.com's pppoe, because my ISP (bellatlantic) doesn't give out
static addresses. The 3com card is configured by the roaring penguin
software. The problem occurs when I try to have eth1 come up during the boot
process. I get the "delaying initialization" error, and after logging in
both cards are unresponsive.
If I don't allow either card to startup during boot and manually bring them
up both cards come online, I can ping each of the cards but nothing beyond
the cards, no ADSL, no private network.
If I allow eth0 to be handled by the roaringpenguin software and manually
bring up eth1. They both work fine. I can ping my private network and access
the internet.
The realtek card is using the ne2k-pci module. The 3com card is using the
3c509. I did notice that both cards are using IRQ9. I didn't think this was
a problem since they both work together when I manually bring up eth1.
Can someone help me figure out what's wrong?
thanx,
John