Darxus on Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:29:06 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] html conformance (3.2)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Michael W. Ryan wrote:

> > This looks pretty good, but I believe this stuff is not part of html 3.2 ?
>
> No, CSS support is not part of HTML 3.2, but it is part of HTML 4.0, the
> current recommendation.  Is there a reason you're writing against 3.2
> instead of 4.0?

"HTML 2.0 is widely supported by browsers..."
"HTML 3.2 is well supported by most browsers..."
- http://www.htmlhelp.org/tools/validator/doctype.html

Basically, because the html I've used conformed to those versions already,
except for a few minor technical errors on my part.  If I ever feel the
desire to use something that doesn't conform to 3.2 or 2.0, I'll use it,
and attempt to conform to a newer standard.  Till then, I'm rather proud
to have created such un-cluttered html that it conforms to ancient
standards and displays relatively well in text based browsers :)

Current state of conformance of all the PLUG html:

directions.html 3.2 & 2.0
history.html 3.2 (has tables)
index.html 3.2 & 2.0
jobs.html 3.2 & 2.0
meetings.html 3.2 (has tables)
members.html 3.2 (has tables)
pics.html 3.2 & 2.0
talks.html 3.2 (has tables)

That's right, 4 of the 8 pages (everything w/out tables) conforms all the
way back to 2.0, and has its doc type set to that :)

At some point I'll probably try to get everything to conform to 4.0 strict
as well as 2.0 & 3.2, but at my 1st attemt, it looks like it'll be
obnoxious:

http://plug.nothinbut.net/talks.html

Line 11, column 0:
  Past:
  ^
Error: character data is not allowed here

It would be very nice if these things would tell you why...