Michael C. Toren on Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:24:37 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Linux-friendly ISP for DSL in Philly?

  • From: "Michael C. Toren" <mct@netaxs.com>
  • To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Linux-friendly ISP for DSL in Philly?
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:24:27 -0400

> Acording to the Netaxs services page ...
> "No servers, ONE computer only"
>
> Well, I already have 2 computers - my workstation and my firewall. So I
> guess I don't qualify.

For the residential rates quoted on the web page, perhaps not.  But,
you can contact a sales weasel to have a quote prepared for you; send
mail to weasels@netaxs.com (or to sales@netaxs.com, if you prefer) for
more information.

> "$15/month Netaxs charge, $40/month Bell charge for 640k down, 90k up.
>  $40/month Netaxs charge, $60/month Bell charge for 1.6M down, 90k up. "
>
> Why do they charge more, just for a faster connection? I can maybe
> understand Bell charging more for higher bandwidth, but why the ISP?

Because you'll have the ability to use more of our available bandwidth,
which isn't infinite, and costs us money.  It's the same reason why we
charge more for a T1 than we do a T3, and why collocation charges are
based on bandwidth utilization.

> Also, it looks like a 1 year commitment. I dislike being locked in like
> that; suppose the service sucks out loud (doubt they will, I know what
> Netaxs service is like), and I want out after a month or two? Am I stuck
> with 10 months of commitment to something I don't want?

That's correct; you need to sign a one year contract for the service, the
reason being that we're responsible for your line, weather you stay with
us or not.

If you (or anyone else) have any other questions, please feel free to
contact me off-list.

Thanks,

-mct