Joe Laudadio on Tue, 2 May 2000 12:53:09 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Elite port

By "filtered" do you mean that the port is open but there are some
firewall rules in place governing what can and cannot get to it?

By "varying levels of Linux" do you mean various linux distributions or
one distribution with different packages installed on each?

Anyhow, port 31337 is the port that backoriface uses. Backoriface is a
trojan horse program for windows. Of course, that doesn't mean someone
hasn't installed a trojan program on a linux box and made it use 31337.
You can list your open ports and what process is using which port by
issuing the command:
	netstat -tap
You'll have to do this as root if you want to see everything otherwise,
it'll only list the processes for processes that you own.

If your linux install had this port open by default, then this is
definately a bad thing. It shouldn't be there period. Did you download
your distribution from a reputable site?

mg